They say there are two things in life you can never avoid, death and taxes. However, as a Brueland, there’s a third: projects.

The men in my family have an aptitude for starting more pet projects than one single person should, and finishing most of them… eventually. In all honesty, we usually get most of the way though something, get distracted by a new idea, and circle back to the old one when the women in our lives “gently” remind us that the kitchen cabinet doors still need to be reattached before we get too invested in our new rain barrel collection systems.

In recent weeks, I have invested my attention in a new hobby, 3d printing. Cyber Monday tempted me away from vacation and I scored a decently reviewed 3d printer for decently cheap:

Longer is a brand based out of China and seems to be producing decent quality additive manufacturing products for relatively cheap. I scored this printer itself for $159.00 on sale and was able to get it assembled and printing within a few hours. The only complaint I have was forewarned in the reviews and is that one of the legs included was just barely too short to make the whole setup level. However, the gap between leg and table happened to be exactly the height of the wrench included for belt adjustment, so I have decided that this is a built in storage “feature”.

Drunk on newfound 3d printing power, I started what any self-respecting engineer would do (after printing too many Pokemon figurines) and started trying to use my power for good. At least good around the home. My first target was our kitchen with it’s limited storage space. In my printing research I had started seeing more and more handy kitchen ideas that would help declutter our space.

The first print of many was a series of under-cabinent mounted KitchenAid mixer heads for storing attachments. This Thingiverse model by rogertaylor was modeled after the attachment point for KitchenAid implements and was sliced into a few different options for printing. The author suggested printing in two halves and gluing together to help ease in printing the overhanging knob, but being impatient, I opted to print the assembly whole with a couple supports added during slicing. Included below are the results of the print after mounting.

In hindsight, printing as suggested would have helped with structural integrity as the grain of the print would have been in the primary stress direction. When more attachments eventually magically appear in the kitchen, I’ll probably attempt the aforementioned method.